Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Tueday, Day 5 Alaskan Adventure

We did not have internet for a few days so this post will bring you up to date and may be a little longer than normal.

We pulled out of Whitehorse, Yukon Territory Sunday AM amid light snow flurries and headed for Skagway, Alaska. Mid trip the scenery became majestic. Again, the road was mostly deserted for the 125 mile trip. As we climbed the pass to drop into the Alaska side of the mountains snow intensified, and everything around us was almost totally white. I figured we had to start the descent soon and wasn't too concerned because the roads, though wet, were clear. At times the cut banks revealed eight foot high snow from winter. That fog looking cloud up ahead is falling snow.


When we reached the summit the road narrowed and tall poles lined both sides of the road to show the snow plows the roadway when the snow is deep.

The downhill was steep and curvy and I held our speed at between 25 and 30 mph. When we pulled into US Customs and I opened the window to talk to the agent I could instantly smell brakes, but the brakes performed fine even if they did get hot. A few questions later and we were back in the USA. Now to find a campground in Skagway. We chose one from a book and drove directly there. True to form it wasn't yet open for the season. So we backtracked and found a less nice site for one night. What the site wasn't the owner was. He was a great help and very nice to us. He was busy with other tasks so told me to just stick some cash under the office door when we left. In many ways that is the mentality in these small towns. Twice I have taken my credit card into a station only to be told to pump the fuel first, then come in and pay.

As we walked through downtown Skagway suddenly we were startled to see an advancing traffic jam in this village. I realized a ferry was in and releasing cars. Our schedule indicated the next ferry was four days away, so we rushed to the truck and drove to the ferry terminal to inquire where they were going and whether there was space available. A helpful young man named Drew said they were booked solid but took our info and the next morning found us a spot on the ferry that day, a day the book said a ferry wasn't operating. Consequently we were in passage down the fjord to Juneau last evening. Backing the 50 foot 5er/truck combination on the ferry was part of the adventure of getting here.

A few hours later we picked up more vehicles and passengers in Haines. Paulette and I decided to spend a little time relaxing in the lounge. A young man sitting alone in the corner of the near empty lounge caught Paulette's eye. She asked me, "Is that Tim?" I said I didn't think so. She persisted and so did I. Finally I was out of argument, got up, and asked if he was Tim Ewing. Yes he was. For the next day Hawkeye loved telling me (with a smile) how I was wrong and she was right. Tim, Paulette, and myself sat together and laughed and talked and enjoyed the view for the next three hours. The funny part is I have known Tim since he was a teenager, perhaps 20 years. I may need new glasses.

The ferry pulled into Juneau around 1 AM. We were both beat after a long day. Because our rig was first on we were practically last off the ferry. We camped in Camp Safeway (Safeway supermarket parking lot) until dawn. In daylight we were able to find a RV park. The weather today was fantastic. We are ringed by snow capped peaks and I am walking about in a tee shirt. Much nicer than the cold days we endured driving the interior.

We have a punch list of things to do before the rig gets barged over to Gustavus. Because we are here three days early we are not pressed. Tim advised that the local Home Depot has a bargain bin. I planned to buy a cheap mud room exterior door here, and a dormer window. On a cart marked 70% off was a special order door. Someone bought it and returned it we were told. It was too narrow for a normal front door so they kept making it down. I got out a tape measure. The door was exactly the width I wanted for the mud room. After all the blessings of appliances, hardware, etc. I hardly expected any more windfalls. We now have a custom door for the price of a cheapie. I stand in awe of the continual blessing of God in our lives on this project. Oh, we did have to pay retail for the dormer window. But it qualifies for the tax credit.

The first cruise ship of the season pulled into Juneau today. We beat the rush! Speaking of beat... I'm going to bed early.

1 comment:

April said...

nighty-night...