Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Looking Back

This was my first post ever when we started the blog years ago. I thought it worthy of re-publication.

"Family: A friend passed away unexpectedly. Amid the grief and tears and shared memories a comment came to our ears. A daughter of the friend mentioned how at get-togethers she would watch our family and felt jealous. That comment made me reflect. Jealous? Of us? I tend to react to what attacks my comfort zone while overlooking the peace and values that surround me every day. I smiled as I reflected on what we have; our family interrelationships. We are functional. We care about each other amid ups and downs. Love covers each other's failings. Irritations come and go but don't affect the greater value of being family. In a crisis we are without question there for each other. And best of all, this is normal for us. As my dad would have said, "You can't buy that with money." Yup, priceless. What a blessing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mel, you have such a refreshing philosophy and priorities - especially concerning family. That's why someone could be envious of yours. It's certainly a desirable possession, but some haven't been able to create it. Keep building your dream and sharing it. P.S. got your Christmas letter. Enjoyed it immensely. Look forward to seeing you finish the cabin this summer. Best, Carol and Brett