Saturday, May 3, 2008

DMV Fun

Because the RV is big I need a special endorsement on my Calif drivers license for the weight classification. I obtained the endorsement last July. It is rare for the DMV to do these, the DMV guy said they only see about two a year, and no one knew quite what was required. They had me take just about every test they had. Plus they wanted a health certificate from my Doc. I studied, took an extra hour of written tests including that they made me take a motorcycle written test (go figure). Then they changed the rules on me midstream. Though I had already taken the tests and passed they apologized and said I only needed to take one of them and trashed the rest. At least I got the endorsement sticker. I showed the endorsement to a CHP I chanced to meet, and he had never seen one and didn't know they existed.

In a few days, on my birthday, my drivers license expires. A renewal never came in the mail. I am lucky I noticed. So I called DMV Sacramento. The rep said something was amis, my endorsement was listed as "pending" and "void" at the same time in the DMV computer, and I had to go to the local office to straighten it out. Not my favorite place. But I made the trip. Fortunately I got a nice helpful guy. After much searching he finally found the "real" criteria, realized I had been forced to jump through more hoops than necessary, and on my word and the fact I had the endorsement sticker reinstated everything. So far so good, until he took it to the boss with the center desk. His boss said I had to take a driving test, one of the few things they didn't require before. I told him that was interesting as I haven't had a ticket in 36 years and have been pulling the 5th wheel RV for 3.5 years. No matter. The Gestapo had spoken. He gave me a temporary license, and now I need to brush up on the driving criteria and make an appointment for a driving test. I'm not paraniod but my big fear is I'll do the test and the next DMV aficionado will come up with a different set of criteria. :-( The Lord must think I need patience. Or I may be paraniod after all.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I don't think the DMV makes it an easy experience for anyone.