Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Wednesday....

On Wednesday (tomorrow) we head for Gustavus for a few days. It's a trip by small plane of about 55 miles. If the weather is nice it's a great trip. If the weather is yucky it's a bit less restful.

We haven't done much in the past few days. We sorta lay around and relax and watch the tide go in and out. There is a Costco here in Juneau. With a few exceptions the prices are comparable to home, a nice thing considering goods are barged 800 miles. Home Depot recently constructed a store also. Plus a "Freddies" and now a "Wallys." And I spotted a JoAnnes fabric store too, much to Mom's delight.

On a different subject I have a varied background. Once I took an ability test and came out all over the chart. I did not have abilities concentrated in one area. For instance, the first house where we stayed has a small boat that wouldn't run right. The fellow by his own admission has no mechanical ability. So I pulled the cover off the outboard motor and did a preliminary exam. We ended up pulling the carburetor apart and draining the gas tank. Both the gas tank and carb had a bunch of water in them, and jets plugged as well. About an hour later I did some fine tuning and it was probably running better than it has in years.

The other ability involved their chickens. Theresa thought one was trying to crow now that they are reaching adult stage, but was told all of the chicks were hens when she bought them. So I volunteered that I can sex chickens before they show their gender through age. She asked how. I said, "Don't ask." We walked to the hen house and started catching chickens. My diagnoisis: Every one we caught was a female. I never knew that talent would come in handy some day.

No comments: