Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Losses

Last week a 34 year old nephew died unexpectedly. The services are coming up in a few days. An old hotel at a whistle stop in the desert lets our dune buggy group use a patch of their desert garden to place memorials to deceased buggy friends. Friday we placed a remembrance for Jimbo. We returned home to a phone message that Aunt Mina is in the last chapter of life. I expect a phone call any time that she is gone. Her great desire at 88 is to go to her heavenly home. I know all the verses and comfort in Christ. But these losses still affect my soul.

Years ago April bought me a soaring bald eagle piece for a Christmas gift. It is titled "Amazing Grace" and a favorite of mine. The next year she gave me a pair depicted in free-fall. Then came an eagle head in the form of a bookend. Lastly a sculpture of an eagle crown. Somehow it sort of became an eagle collection and we have them displayed around the house. I decided to put the picture of an eagle sitting on the dock railing in the header for a while. They have a majesty few creatures can match.

No comments: