Saturday, September 4, 2010

The Whitehouse

Below are the requested pix from the restaurant windows at the lodge. In the second pix the cloud obscures snow capped mountains. On a cloudless day it's hard to beat this view while enjoying a gourmet meal.





September 2, 2010
We awoke to a cold damp fall morning and true to forecast we had hard rain all the previous night. Neither of us slept well, which is unusual for me because I enjoy the sound of rain on a roof. In the morning I was eager to see how the cabin fared under that amount of rain. First I walked the outside to see where spatter hit the exterior, then literally climbed into the stairless opening where we will install a door, and walked the walls from the inside, paying close attention to areas around the windows. I saw lots of spatter on the window’s exterior, but witnessed no moisture anywhere inside. We didn’t have much wind with the rain, but this was a good first test of the “dry” ability of the cabin. I am very pleased. As I stand back and let my senses absorb the project I am lifted. I know I had help for eight days, but other than that the feeling of accomplishment at what these two hands have done is very satisfying.

I was thinking the pleasant days of summer were gone. But mid-day after the rain moved on we had a cloudless sky and nice temps. If only it would last another month.
The Coho salmon should start running any day now. There is anticipation because this is the biggest run of the year and a decent grade of salmon and if possible I want to stock our small freezer before heading south.

Sept 4. A few recent pictures:
The one window facing the river will be complemented by five more in future years... we hope.





I built one last interior wall to separate the mud room from the kitchen this morning. Early afternoon Duane came and helped me lift the 165 pound picture window into place. That was the final window we brought with us. Perhaps next spring we can bring the next seven windows that will complete the glass. Only one last door and hardware remains to be installed this year. We will have five days to organize and move items into the cabin that will remain here for the winter (lumber and roof for the porch, some tools, ladders, electrical, and a few plumbing items). Plus separate out items that we want to transport south. I am not anxious to leave, but the weather is slowly changing and it is time to begin our migration.

7 comments:

Richard said...

Well Mel, it looks like "Ya dun it!". Way to go!
I know you want to stay longer, but it'll be nice (for me, anyway) to have you back in SoCal.
The pix from the restaurant really looked wonderful.
Good luck with the Salmon Run.
C-Ya soon,
Me

april said...

it does look great...so glad it weathered through the rain okay. you should feel very satisfied and proud! can't wait to see all those 7 windows towards the river...gonna be gorgeous! also looking forward to eating some of that salmon! :)

Sarah said...

looks pretty darn good!!! And I must say I am proud of you, so you should be too!!! oh and I want some salmon too!!! looks like your having us all for dinner!!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pictures from the restaurant window. Have a good trip back to SoCal.

Sherrie Jo said...

Look forward to seeing you here. Call if you need help, a ride/overnight for Paulette, or whatever. Mick suggested a weekend trip to visit, but timing isn't working out. Maybe next summer we can swing a hammer or paint brush for a couple of days.

Anonymous said...

Don't forget to leave the latch string out. The bears need a good dry place for the long winter.

Holler when you sail by.

Sheepish

la femme elisabeth said...

Yup, you should be feeling accomplished, alright! Great job, Popaluba, can't wait to eat some of that Coho when you com-o-thru-o in a few weeks-o. ;)