Sunday, November 7, 2010

Nuts, I Wanted a Fishing Boat.




Over a week ago I called our Alaskan neighbor, Leah, because she owns a kayak rental business. She returned my call yesterday from near the arctic ocean where she is helping lead a polar bear expedition in the off season. (She said temps range -30 to -40F where she is presently located and added, "The polar bears love it." She didn't sound like her teeth were chattering. BTW temps in Gustavus are +40 to +45˚F.) I asked her about an ad I saw earlier for two kayaks. She said the prices were good and told me how to evaluate them. Then I checked the ad again and saw the seller had cut the price in half since his previous listing! Takers may have been few because he lives a long way from water. Off we went on a drive out to the desert. They weren't in fabulous condition but both looked seaworthy. I really wanted one about 17 feet long for ocean kayaking. These are slightly smaller. The shorter one is 13 feet, and the long one 15 feet in length. They will do well on the Salmon River, or getting across a bay to fish for sockeye salmon in Bartlett River (fifteen minutes by kayak versus a 2.5 mile hike). The small one only weighs 50 pounds and should fit me ok with a little rudder pedal adjustment. I am also pleased to have an extra one for guests! (Ya listening Jon? ;-) Hopefully we will have room in the 5er to get them both up to AK next spring.

5 comments:

la femme elisabeth said...

I was gonna say...if you can get Mom in one of those I'll eat my hat! ;)

Mel (AKA Dad, Papa Mel, Grampa) said...

LOL Your hat is safe. I wanted her to sit in one on the lawn for the picture but she.... well, let's just say she isn't in the picture.

Anonymous said...

_40 to -50 and winter has not arrived yet. Nuts, there goes global warming.
Sheepish

George Benson said...

What...no sailboat? Arrgh!

Sherrie Jo said...

I can't quit laughing! We've been here for 34 years and I still haven't made it into a kayak. I really do want to though, so I may have to be one of your guests.