Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Mushroom Country, Aug 16




Gustavus has been referenced as having more types of mushroom than just about anywhere else on earth. This time of year I believe it. I must have found thirty different species within 100 feet of the cabin as I wandered with my camera. Some are so small a dime could cover half a dozen. Others are seven or eight inches across. I was specifically looking for a fairy ring, but they must not be up yet.





Yes, that is a dime next to the mushrooms.

The rain finally eased after three solid days of precipitation. The water level in the river raised to as high as during a 20 foot tide, but swift with lots of turbulence. All this rain reminds me of the week or two of storms we get during winter in Southern California. The temps are similar too. The rain let up mid afternoon today. Hopefully we will dry out a little and get some sunshine instead of the earlier prediction of rain all week.


I thought I would post another fish picture (here ya go Dale). I forget the exact weight (50-60 lbs?) but caught this halibut on my last day of fishing. I was incredibly lucky that day. Of the seven halibut caught I hooked six of them, including this one.

I couldn't resist this perfect reflection on a pond

Paulette by a lily pond.

A bear tried to gnaw his way into a neighbors ice chest.

A bear also stopped to take a drink from a bucket filled with rain water. Guess which bucket he chose? Smarter than the average bear...


7 comments:

Sarah said...

can't wait to eat some of that halibut dad!!!

Richard said...

What a beautiful place!

Anonymous said...

It looks like August would be a good time to visit. Do those mushroom plots grow bigger coins and bills? How big a rake will I need for a more efficient harvest? What percentage does the property owner get?
Sheepish

pete said...

You must be very careful with wild mushrooms. By eating them. You could contract "roomus e gloomus".

This a very well documented fact on the Gilligans Island series...

Stay clear of the bears too...

plastic cards said...

so great post. thanks for you...

Mel (AKA Dad, Papa Mel, Grampa) said...

The gloomis part is the precipitation. I actually got cabin fever one day... or was it the mushrooms??? A day of fishing made me feel better.

Darroll. Bring a 4' leveling rake. I'm thinking we can pay off the national debt if we hurry.
Mel

Anonymous said...

Have enjoyed "stalking you" on your blog! haha
What are the chances of a Folkertsma sighting in Puyallup on your way down?