Monday, October 17, 2011

Das Boot





Last summer I dreamed of taking grandkids fishing for halibut, but nothing opened up to get them out in neighbor's boats during their stay. A boat for Alaska had been on our five year plan, but after the inability to get the grandsons out I stepped up the search for our own boat. We located what I hope is a suitable craft. A private party posted it on Craigslist in central California. The boat is a 2004 20' Alumaweld Intruder, 150hp, 10hp kicker, marine radio, electric downriggers, GPS/chartplotter/sonar, and other seaworthy (for fair weather) features for up north. I talked to the mechanic who serviced this craft for the last six years and he said the engine only has 198 hours and if he had not recently bought a house he would buy the boat himself. We pick it up Wednesday. Friends chide me that a boat is a hole in the water that you throw money into, but I suspect their thinking is clouded by the fact they don't have grandchildren.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Another method of travel to the north country. If you start out Friday you can get to the cabin before freeze up on Glacier Bay. Let me know when you are passing Oregon and I'll wave.

OR You could wait until spring and hitch a tow with a whale headed north. It would make a great trip story either way.
Sheepish