Friday, August 8, 2008

Straw hats

Been a while since I posted so I thought to give an update. The update is: not much new. Still working a bit on the store though I have slowed down. I ordered some flooring for a restroom and the main entry. After that's done all that remains is touchup painting. Calls have dropped way off. Uncertainty due to economy and election??? I suspect so. I'd be reluctant to commit to a lease in this environment.

Price reduced. New reportedly was $1,500,000. Now asking $450,000

There is an old adage, "Buy your straw hats in the winter." Contrary to the economic trend we made an offer on a boat a few days ago. (It's about 40 feet shorter than the one in that picture, which Mom likes VERY MUCH). My offer was below what the seller was asking even though they had already dropped the price $10,000 over the past year. My logic is with fuel prices where they are, and most folks now being unable to use home equity for major purchases (= less buyers), values of something like a boat, which is very energy inefficient and costly to maintain, must come way down. I see ads trying to unload boats everywhere, especially ads for big boats (see above). I counted 650-700 postings on one Craigslist boat site in one day this week! But so far most folks with trailerable boats are reluctant to take less than they think the boats are worth. They didn't accept our offer. I think the market will gradually adjust. Even now I see some that have been for sale a while and the sellers are into their second, third, or even fourth price reduction... and still no takers. So we're sorta watching for a deal on a straw hat. It doesn't matter whether we get one or not.
I guess I feel the same way as the boat sellers. Our 5th wheel is prob worth about half of what we paid for it (due to fuel costs and economic slowdown), but I wouldn't take that.

3 comments:

la femme elisabeth said...

Come on, Papa! Jonah's dying to get on a boat with you and sail around Alaska. :) Love the quote on the sidebar, too!

Mel (AKA Dad, Papa Mel, Grampa) said...

Thanx E. I'd love to get a few grandkids out there and bond more with them. But lots of obstacles to overcome first. Like the quote... right now it's a dream. Hopefully it will come to fruition.

Hannah Hosh said...

Hey Folkertsmas! Nice to see you two on blogger. Mel, I saw the photo of the boat and thought, "holy cow, good choice!" then I read your "40 feet shorter" comment. Haha! Hope you and your's are all doing well.