Thursday, August 21, 2008

Plans, Store, and Trips

I got invited to go deep sea fishing off Mexico on a 1.5 day charter. I made an emotional decision and quickly accepted. Over the next few days I repented at leisure. I almost hoped a hurricane would cancel the trip. Unfortunately the weather looks good. So I'm going to reluctantly live up to my commitment.

The store lease activity has been very quiet. I think I have had two calls in the past six weeks (one was an oriental guy wanting to rent 200 sq. ft. LOL) I counted eight fwy frontage retail stores for lease within two miles of our location. On top of that our tenant told me she is closing. I visited the store this afternoon to show Mom the new vinyl flooring and the young man who works there said it looks like she is going to close the end of this month. She is still on the lease, but once she is out I can imagine she will be more reluctant than ever to pay the lease. I've been very gracious so far, but she takes advantage of my graces.

We were in Costco today and I got chatty with a middle aged gal boxing purchases. I noted how few people were shopping compared to usual. She said this local Costco laid off 10 people that morning. The Inland Empire is hit a lot harder than most of the rest of the nation. Our unemployment is now approaching 9% according to the newspaper. It isn't pretty.

We canceled all summer plans because of the store lease situation and I did so willingly to try to help our struggling tenant. Lately I've had a change of heart and feel free to be gone due to the fact the tenant has not lived up to her commitment to bring deteriorated areas up to good condition to help merchandise the building. So we decided to take in a buggy run in the Eureka, CA area, and continue on to Portland to see kids and grandkids for a few days . We plan to leave home next Wednesday, arrive in the Eureka area Friday afternoon, and head for Portland Monday or Tuesday. We are in flux as to when we will return home. In retrospect I desire to be here if the store is going to close so am re-evaluating. But we will probably go north (partly due to a strong lobbyist named Gamma!).

3 comments:

April said...

in light of the quote on the side of your blog, i, too, say you should go. although i am sorry that the leasing situation isn't brighter than it could be.

Mel (AKA Dad, Papa Mel, Grampa) said...

I love that quote.

This administration, and particularly Allan Greenspan, is guilty of leaving interest rates too low too long, to the detriment of millions looking forward to a comfortable retirement.

JamieB said...

maybe you should swing by texas somewhere in there too... we miss you a lot