Monday, November 10, 2008

Let your Yes be Yes

I know some folks who planned a get-together at their house and had RSVP responses. They bought food for respondents. The day of the event only about half of the folks who replied showed up. The spread was awesome, but the open-house folks had to deal with all that extra expense and food.... and the disappointment.

We put an event in the bulletin and the outing was announced publicly. Enthusiasm was high. 32 guys took the time to find the sign-up list. I emailed or called everyone who signed up two days in advance. The day of departure I received six cancellations. That left 26 for the outing. The evening we were to leave we arranged to meet in a parking lot. Only two of the remaining 26 showed up. I waited extra time for late comers in the event some were delayed. No one else called or showed.

Perhaps I'm old school but these things trouble me. I was raised that a man is only as good as his word. Am I wrong to expect we should be different from the world around us? Give me your thoughts.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

That is one of my biggest pet peeves! I completely agree with you! People need to keep their word! If you say you're going to do something, then you need to do it!

Sarah said...

I think we are starting to realize who are "true" friends are. Those who are there for you in the good and the bad--not just one or the other. I'm sorry. It must have been such a bummer for you. I too believe let your yes be yes. And also as Jen says make time for whats important to you. Enough said? ;)

la femme elisabeth said...

I COMPLETELY agree which is why I always just say no to everything. ;)
Seriously though, people only commit to what they have to pay for and sometimes not then! Sorry about the turn-out for your trip, hope you had a good time with the faithful few.