Tuesday, April 21, 2009

It lives!


Work is essentially completed on most aspects of the store interior so I have taken on new projects. I like tools. Good tools seldom depreciate. After years of this lift laying out back in the weeds I finally moved the lift components up to the front of the garage and got the mechanism operational. The task wasn't easy. Typical of a remodel I hit new obstacles at every turn. I had to build a phase converter to make the correct power for the lift, dig out old concrete and pour 1.5 cubic yards of thicker concrete (which we mixed out back!) and borrow a few industrial tools for installing anchor bolts. In the end we prevailed. I still have some technical final wiring things to do. Now that the lift is operational I'm feeling better about the project. Just like God standing back and looking at his new creation, this wayfarer loves to see a project complete and say, "It is good." On the other hand, Mom says something else. (Women don't seem to understand garage bling. Don't tell her but she is right. I hope to camouflage the lift somewhat with garage color paint). We had a refrigerator repairman over (only the second time in our marriage we have had a repairman) when she made an "ugly" comment, so I knew I had a male jury, and asked him if he thought the lift was ugly. He replied, "It's SWEET!"

10 comments:

Bela said...

That's impresive! I'm not going to make any comments on the looks of it (since I know mrs. Folkertsma comment :)), but it's definitely useful. I'm glad to see that April's family is a lot similar to mine from this point of you - we're also used to fix everything ourselfs.

la femme elisabeth said...

Most elderly (heehee) people would just cough up the money to have the oil changed at this point in their lives; glad to see you are not giving in to the arthritis! :) :)
You might be changing a lot more oil and brakes and car problems for extended family now, tho! (BTW the word verification I had for your blog was "ingrat" was that planned?) wink wink

Mel (AKA Dad, Papa Mel, Grampa) said...

The forgot to put the "e" on the end.

Bela... Are you playing politics with the mother-in-law? Us guys gotta stick together. (just kidding).

I'm painting the lift today. The top is the color of the gray on the garage. Looks fairly good against the sky too. The lower part is white like the garage door. Looks much less intrusive. And Mom thinks so too.

JamieB said...

not sure if you increased the value of your house or...

just be careful under there.

la femme elisabeth said...

Wow Mel! I previously knew there were seven wonders of the world, but now I behold an eighth! I must go and visit this tribute to Masculinity. Can I bring a few quarts and a filter with me in June??? ;) Excellent work man, you definitely know how to get things done! Maybe a good climbing plant could make Mom happy.

Jon

Mel (AKA Dad, Papa Mel, Grampa) said...

House value: The lift is totally removable. That said, We are unique. Should the house get put on the market I suspect a mechanically minded sort will go nuts for it because of the lift, huge garage with air conditioning, RV parking with hookups, rear access, etc.. Those things are hard to find at a residence.

Mel (AKA Dad, Papa Mel, Grampa) said...

From Mom.
Thanks guys. I'll remember whose side you are on when it comes to chocolate chip cookies.

JamieB said...

....not to mention that you just added one more parking space in the yard!

-Adam

Sarah said...

be careful is what I say be very careful, oh and does it work on saturns and odyesseys. oh and do you know how to do the alignment with one of those things, but be careful

Mel (AKA Dad, Papa Mel, Grampa) said...

Depends whether you think the lift is ugly or beautiful. :-)

I have used the lift quite a bit, but so far only for buggies(except the pix of the Avalon in it). I lifted the body off a buggy with it, put it back on, etc. taking measurements. I even used it to put a buggy frame on its side so I can do some welding. Beats crawling under the buggy and getting hot welding splatter on me.