Thursday, April 23, 2009

Refrig problems


Our refrigerator died while we were in Portland. We had an extended warranty given us when we bought the refrig seven years ago. Because of the extended warranty we called the store where we bought it. Three days later the tech came out. The diagnosis: a bad compressor. I showed them the warranty. Trouble is the warranty did not cover labor, only parts. They gave me a price for labor that was over half what a new refrig would cost. Just the labor! I couldn't fathom what could cost that much labor in a simple refrigerator. I don't know if we were being scammed, but suspect the price of the compressor was built into the labor number. I called a friend who does refrigeration and air conditioning. He said we could do the repair if I got the part. So I called the warranty company in Missouri, and explained the situation. A very nice lady did some research and said they could ship ME a new compressor, and even include free freight! (Major kudos to Associated Service Corp. in St. Louis). Tuesday the new compressor arrived. Wednesday night we reclaimed the refrigerant, did a compressorechtomy. I spent most of Thursday trying to get the refrigerant charge right as we had nothing to go by. After lots of tweaking I think I got it correct. The refrig now gets colder than it ever has! We had the small refer in the RV and an ice chest in the house. Major kudos to Mom for her patience while I tried to keep the costs under control.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Hope you didn't lose too much food. Glad you got it fixed.