Thursday, December 24, 2009

From Fireweed to Firearms

Alaska has the largest percentage of people owning firearms in the nation. No application is needed to buy and no permits necessary if you want to carry a concealed handgun. In other words they deem irresponsibility to be abnormal. I wonder if it is coincidence that AK also has about the lowest crime rate in the nation? That is quite a contrast to the lower 48 flavor that gun lovers are extreme or nut cases and resultant pressure to restrict and regulate guns, and now even ammunition in California. In AK if you do not own a gun you may be the one considered abnormal. Nearly every rural home I have been in has a rifle or shotgun prominently in view. Kids learn gun safety at a very young age. Walmart, K-mart, and Fred Meyer all sell shoulder arms and handguns over the counter. Sporting goods shops even market toward girls and women. This picture was taken in a Fred Meyer. I have to confess I have never seen a pink stock before. Don't faint but mom was saying she might like to have one of those pink rifles for Christmas next year. I might have an Alaskan woman on my hands.