Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The Dream Is Alive...


I barely finished my floor sheeting when Kent and Ben arrived from SoCal. We got busy the next day with framing the walls. That day unfortunately it rained hard all day. We were hunting for rain gear wherever we could find some.



Seven days later we had the tough stuff, except for roof sheeting, done. Now I need ot do lots of blocking, finish sheeting the roof, and get the metal roofing on. A small problem is my knees have been bothering me. My left knee is swollen enough to be noticable through the pantleg. We pushed pretty hard for eight days. I'm going to hopefully be able to slow down and let the knees repair for a day or two.




The front of the house will be six large windows. This view is from the loft. The great room below has a similar view but at a decreased angle. This is one of those pix you need to double click to get the full impact through a larger picture.

Wednesday Ben and I went fishing in the river for an hour. Ben caught a nice Dolly Varden, about 22-24 inches long. He had a blast. I think he caught about eight an hour, mostly a bit smaller than that nice sized one. We released all the smaller ones. I too had one hit my lure hard and break my line almost instantly. (It's old line.) I found it very relaxing to get out and kick back for those minutes. I have done zero fishing and only build since we got here. And it is nice to know the river has fish. :-)

Paulette kept us well fed during the last week. Kent hoped to lose some weight and I doubt that happened.

Ben and Kent are headed back to Calif and I'm lonely without them. I now face a lot more work. It is nice to have someone call down a board length, have it cut, and hand it up. Without them I'll be doing the climbing, measuring, climb down, cut, cart the piece back up, and nail in place. I'm very very grateful for the two of them who gave so freely to come and help. Words cannot express my appreciation fully. Thanks so very much Ben and Kent!

4 comments:

Richard said...

Hi Mel and Paulette,
The place looks GREAT! What a blessing to have those folks show up and pitch in. You're right, it would have been a lot of work to build a roof with one guy!
Rest those knees when you can, my friend.


Me

JamieB said...

Dad! It looks amazing!! I'm so impressed.
Take care of yourself -- tell mom to make a few ice packs up so you can ice them at rest times.

love you both!

Sarah said...

its looking great!! Maybe you can post help wanted at the library or something? who knows it sounds like you got a great town, and people would be willing to help for a good cooked meal.

Unknown said...

I am impressed at all of your efforts. It must be another of your hidden talents. At this rate you might become the local contractor for those who want to escape, but with less talent. To bad the local 'livestock' left except for those in the river. Do any of the locals garden?
The sheepherder