Thursday, May 17, 2012

We arrived Gustavus on schedule. Lots of friends turned out to meet the ferry and welcome us. Everything got loaded in the cabin. Clutter galore. The next few days were spent trying to find parts I knew I brought along but could not find in the clutter. We got the heat working. That is a good thing because the high so far has been only 45 degrees. Lowest we have seen is 34. Got the water working too. No drains yet for the sinks. They drain into a bucket. Propane now fires the stove. Mom is impressed with the stove and microwave. The bummer is we don't have hot water yet. I am missing one solitary part to hook it up. Should have it by the weekend. The cabin is chilly because a small 10x10 area is not insulated. It's amazing how much cold one small area lets in. Hopefully it will be fixed by the weekend IN the midst of the push to get thing running I got sick. First day was sorta lethargic and I laid low. Day two turned into a full blown flu. (It's going around Gustavus and many have it in sync with my case.) I am into day three and slowly gaining strength. I haven't been sick like that for many years. I need to go to Juneau for parts and insulation and feel well enough to get on the ferry this afternoon. Mom will stay with friends in Gus. No animal sighting yet. only a few tracks... less than usual.

1 comment:

Richard said...

Hello Mel and Paulette!
Glad to hear you're there and making progress. Stay warm! Get well sooner!
Hoping all goes well with you two!
Richard