Saturday, July 5, 2008

Car Show

Yesterday, the 4th of July, we went to a car show at church. I probably would have stayed under the A/C (about 100° on the grass field and humid from all the watering the grass receives) at home but they asked me to be a judge of the cars. I didn't bother with sunscreen because I didn't figure judging would take long. Several hours into judging 100 entries I was a literal a redneck. My neck still burns a day later. Despite my letting it be known bribes might be considered no one offered. (Can you picture me taking a bribe? Kinda like the Pope becoming a Protestant.) If anyone asked my name I just told them the pastor's name. No sense being subject to recrimination from those who were unhappy they didn't place. It was long and hot and FUN. JoAnna showed up with the kids and Seth was a pistol. In the heat he wanted to be a mama's boy hanging on her all the time. I felt sorry for her. The other two ran off and indulged in the plethora of water activities on the far end of the soccer field. Made me wish I was 8.

I entered our green Tow'd in the competition, (See header picture) which usually does well against others in its class. I have three blue ribbons to prove it. But a non-buggy car show generally goes to the car with the most $ invested. I bet the winner of Best of Show had $40,000+ in his car. A few were for sale for about that. There I was with my meager $2500 (and a few years of elbow grease) buggy. Despite giving my car high marks for subjective reasons I didn't win anything. ;-)

We finished the night at a baseball game with Jo, John, and the kids. Great fireworks show afterward. Then sat in the parking lot for 30 minutes waiting for someone to let me into the outflow line (My thanx to that guy in the red Accura). Got home close to midnight. I haven't done that in a long while.

No pix? Well, my third digital camera decided it didn't like dust. Sometimes it will work if I help the lens extend. But that's a lot of work. I'm looking for another camera. But you know us Dutch guys. It may be a while.

1 comment:

la femme elisabeth said...

Costco has a coupon for a lumix with $$ off I forget how much). Great camera, too. The kids broke our first one and we just broke down and bought another cuz we liked it so well. Love you--sounds like it was fun!