Monday, July 21, 2008

Farmer Mel


We have five rows of veggies, along with a few mounds of zucchini, cabbage, and three tomato plants hidden behind the young orange tree. The carrots and onions hardly show up in the pix, but are doing well. The small plants in the foreground are bell pepper. They seem to be doing ok, but are slow growers compared to most everything else. I think they are the late bloomers of the garden.

The big event is we are starting to get produce. We had our first green beans yesterday for dinner. Amazingly good! We have been picking cilantro and basil for over a week. Cucumbers are now pickle size. I lopped off our first zucchini this morning. Two more should be ripe in a few days (one plants a zucchini to feed the neighborhood). I don't think we are going to put Stater Brothers Markets out of business. But it will help relieve the increased costs of produce at the store due to fuel prices. And the garden is fun. I plan to plant another row in a few weeks so we get a fresh crop into fall.

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Maybe you can make zucchini bread! Yummy!

JamieB said...

reminds me of a garden we planted there yeeeeaaarrrrrssss ago. remember we planted corn? mmm

April said...

looks GREAT dad! maybe you can send some of the cilantro on over to me...

April said...

i memed you...see my blog for details

Mel (AKA Dad, Papa Mel, Grampa) said...

April: You remind me of when Kim Bell gave me a bag full of seed packets to take to Russia. She knew a rep at a seed company and he gave them to her for me to dispense. The packets contained a bit of everything, and some held types of seeds they had never seen; For instance Honeydew mellons. Two years later I noticed every little farm stand on every road was selling honeydew. Those seeds and their offspring really got around. Too bad the rest of our influence didn't spread like that.