Saturday, July 5, 2008

Fishing is hard work


I like fishing Alaska and found this picture on the web. It tells a story so I thought I'd post it. This pix was titled "Fishing for King Salmon is Hard Work." Actually, the fellow was probably so engrossed with fishing that the tide came in and cut off his escape route back to the mainland, so he decided to make the best of it for a few hours until the tide went back out. The tides in Alaska are greater than we experience in California. I have seen them go 12 feet and am told they can go 20 feet on rare occasions. That kind of movement can flood behind you in a matter of a half hour. I've had it happen, but managed to jump across before it was too deep. Swim or wade? Water temp is probably about 45°. I suspect he thought catching some rays for a few hours sounded like a better option.

Alaska has its share of fun names. In the interior there is a town named "Chicken." They actually wanted to name it "Ptarmigan," but nobody knew how to spell Ptarmigan.

No comments: