Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Flood progress

I filed an insurance claim for the flood damage figuring I'd let the insurance company take care of dealing with the city for reimbursment. The adjuster came up with way more damage than I envisioned. Us getting in there early with a wet-vac and fans saved the floor and prevented mildew or this would have been much worse. The particle board cabinets are history. The water causes the glue to fall apart. The water only wicked to about 1/4 of the carpet, but the carpet can't be saved requiring the whole room to be re-carpeted. Drywall and paint damage down below caused him to authorize the whole ceiling be painted even though less than ¼ of it got damaged. All that without any prodding by me. I mentioned I need the building presentable in case someone wants to look at it so the adjuster gave me a voucher and told me to get a contractor and get going. I asked if it was ok to do the work myself since I built the building and am essentially unemployed. He said yes to that. Doing it myself I get contractor wages to fix the damage. So the adversity has turned into a blessing; our mourning into dancing. Doesn't that sound like the Lord?

2 comments:

april said...

glad it's working out...

la femme elisabeth said...

woah thats so cool! you get paid to do the work yourself? sweet!