Thursday, October 1, 2009

What a Difference a Day Makes

I painted on the exterior of the store this morning. When I arrived back home the store neighbor called and said he saw water coming through the back wall of the store. I asked the neighbor to turn off the water to our building. Last week the City broke our water line and hooked us up temporarily, but bypassed the pressure regulator to do so. That meant excess pressure went direct into the store. I figured a line had ruptured due to the pressure. When I arrived I feared I would see water running out the front door. Nothing showed as I pulled into the parking lot. We went inside. So far so good. I walked toward the bathrooms. The ceiling in the back room was wet and dripping in a few places. Upstairs about 200 sq feet of carpet was saturated in the vicinity of the cabinets in the recital room. If the neighbor had not called who knows how much damage would have been done. Mom and I quickly bought a wet/dry vac and picked up our floor fans and headed back to the store, vac'd up what we could, pulled back saturated carpet, and turned on our portable fans. I'm just glad the neighbor called when he did!

3 comments:

april said...

hope everything turns out okay! so glad the neighbor saw the water. will the city fix/cover costs of what they did wrong?

Mel (AKA Dad, Papa Mel, Grampa) said...

The saying, "You can't fight city hall" seems relevant. If I go to the city direct I won't get any results. So I'm filing an insurance claim with my insurer and let them determine whether to go after the city for reimbursment. Plus the insurer has professional estimators. I feel the city should be culpable.

Sherrie Jo said...

Doesn't the hassle of things like this make you want to move to that cabin in Gustavus?
We're excited for you. Hope the sale goes through okay. It would be cool to almost have you as part time neighbors! Sherrie