Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Last Three Big Trees.

Wednesday, May 19. A bit of light rain last night but the day was clear and sunny. The birds singing woke us about 3:30 but we fell back asleep. We did get the three big trees down today. My saw is 18” and they are larger in diameter than that so I don’t want to get into the middle of cutting and not have the saw able to complete the job, thus leaving a dangerous situation. So we cleaned up the trees I cut down yesterday by the top creek-bed. That took all morning. After lunch I cut the lower limbs from what we call “The Avenue,” our nearly 300 foot long driveway lined by trees a few of which reach a little under one hundred feet into the heavens. Joe came over late in the day with a bigger chain saw and dropped the remaining three with me. (He cut, I drove wedges). About 1PM Paulette said let’s count how many trees we have cut and removed. We both did a count. To our surprise our numbers came out higher than we estimated. She counted 110 trees including the little stuff. I counted 92 trees over four inches in diameter! Whew. That was quite a bit more than I estimated. At the end of each day my pants are covered with spatter of tree sap, and our gloves are heavily coated with the same. BTW… Flowers are blooming everywhere here right now. Many open spots are a carpet of yellow.

1 comment:

April said...

you guys have worked HARD the last 10 days...and i'm sure you sleep well, too!