Thursday, May 13, 2010

Lumberjack progress







The top pix is the view we should get from our cabin front windows. The next pix is of the landing craft approaching Gustavus with our 5th wheel trailer aboard. You can see the snow covered mountains and a few houses along tree line. Finally the Raptor and truck loaded on the landing craft ready to put to sea.

Wednesday, May 12. We started a little earlier today amid a few sprinkles. Temp was 42 degrees when we got on the property at 7:30 AM. But within an hour the weather cleared and temps gradually came up to the low 50’s, which is good working weather. With this hard work I sweat at fifty degrees and have to un-layer. When walking off the property at the end of the day Paulette commented how excited she was about the project. We work together step for step, and are both beat at the end of each day. She mentioned how she has a new respect for pioneer women.

Thursday, May 13. Early this morning while Paulette was getting ready I fixed the old chain saw on the kitchen floor. A good day overall. I think we felled and cleaned up eight trees. The new driveway area is now 240 feet long. There are still about thirty trees, seven or eight sizable, to be dealt with. The big ones are up to 20 inches in diameter at the base and reach anywhere from 70-80 feet tall (my best guess). I can feel the danger when cutting one down. I make sure Paulette is well clear. Most trees lean slightly this way or that. The ones I don’t like at the ones where you can’t detect any lean. Mixed sun and clouds again today. Perhaps 60 degrees for a high. I was down to a tee shirt.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

sarah says "oh cool". its beautiful--jo

Richard said...

Hi Mel and Paulette!
The place looks great. It'll be a lot of work, but the "payoff" will be tremendous!
I hope all goes smoothly and as you planned it.
Regards,
Richard

Richard said...

That's funy tha I am ID'd as "Grandpa". I signed up months ago 'cuz a couple of the G-Kids have Blogs.....I guess I didn't know I was gonna be grandpa to everyone I know!! LOL

April said...

mom: I love you!!! I love that you are cutting down trees and reimagining what your life can be..even at 63! you are an inspiration!!!!