Monday, January 24, 2011

Gentle Leviathons of the Deep

I do not watch much television. But when I do occasionally I see an ad for Pacific Life. Their logo is a whale breaching out of the water. One of the best locations in the world to film breaching whales is Point Adolphus, a few miles across the strait from Gustavus. In one ad behind the whale is a jagged point that I recognize as the northwest corner of Pleasant Island. In another I see the rocky beach on the west side of Icy Strait where we trolled for salmon on our first magical visit to to this area. And in the third, Pleasant island is partially behind, but to the left of Pleasant Island, I see the tree line secluding Gustavus (and way back in those trees my mind's eye can see a half completed cabin). Every time I view one of those ads I smile inside and call to Paulette to come look, even though she responds back that she has seen them a dozen times. Here is a video clip of the relaxing whales in the exact area where we first saw them five years ago while fishing. These are the same whales that appear on the ads. They come up and breather five to eight times before disappearing for a few minutes to feed. Enjoy with me! Our Whales

No comments: