Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Bela's Ballet

Son-in-law Bela's prize possession is a snow board. It is perhaps the only non-essential possession he dragged here from Europe, carefully protected in its own custom bag. Then the airline lost his board. Most of the way home from the LA airport April craved Mexican food while Bela worried about his snowboard, which he feared was now snug in the trunk of an airport employee's automobile. He filed a claim and prayed. A few days later the airline delivered the way-layed item to our door. Ever since Bela has wanted to find snow. For Christmas he was given two lift tickets. At first availability it was off to the slopes. Years ago I mastered skis enough to call myself intermediate. Bela, on the other hand, was out for perhaps only his third time on the snowboard. To me these single platform devices look difficult. One would think balance is much more critical than two skis. That first day on the slopes with him I found my ski legs early, though my feet had not been on skis for over ten years. I was mentally back in the saddle even though my muscles threatened to boycott on every run. After a few trips down the easy slopes Bela was ready for the long steeper runs from the windy top. His biggest problem seemed to be dismounting the lift. Wanting to capture that courageous moment for posterity I surged ahead and caught an early chair. I was in position with camera when his chair arrived. I hoped to record a full swan dive. But Bela saw the camera and, like a football player refusing to be tackled, managed through great physical effort to retain his dignity. This was a turning point. I don't think he fell but once after this video. Way to go Bela!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

thats awesome!!!!

JamieB said...

pretty cool... pretty cool... if it weren't so cold, i think i would like snow more. :)