Saturday, January 1, 2011

Holidays

I'm sorry about not being as dedicated to posting. Here is a quick update.
The holiday season has been good, with the exception of too much great eats and treats. I think I put all the weight I lost working in AK back on, and perhaps a bit more. Paulette and I gave each other a new point-n-shoot camera as a main Christmas gift. I think the .pdf manual for the camera is something like 150 pages. I doubt I'll ever use all the bells and whistles but it's a lot more advanced than our old dying model. I'm looking forward to not missing some of the action pix of Alaska that our old camera wasn't fast enough to capture. A lot of my energies have been spent looking for build materials for the cabin. I scrounged the used ads and stores and have most everything I think I will ever be able to find used. The savings are huge and will more than pay for transportation getting it up there. I added up the weight of everything we want or need to bring north next spring and it comes to 3,300 pounds! Last summer we toted about 4000 lbs of materials up in the toy hauler. We were very heavy and I hope to be a little lighter this year.

Crazy but we were colder here in Calif last night than they were in Gustavus. This from a weather web site:

Latest Reported Weather Conditions Observed at Gustavus, AK
Updated 10:56 AM AST SAT JAN 1 2011
Overcast
39°F



Happy New Year to you all! Mel & Paulette

2 comments:

JoeSindorf said...

I've greatly enjoyed reading the updates on your building adventure in Alaska. I'm planning on building the same basic cottage in NH.

Do you have a rough sketch of the floor plan?

Thanks - and may the peace and blessing of the Lord be yours in this new year.

Joe Sindorf
jsindorf AT gmail DOT com

JamieB said...

missed your posts... you must be busy. only a few more months and you'll be back in the wild.