Sunday, May 15, 2011

Switzerland? -- May 15

I am told Switzerland is beautiful valleys between mountain peaks. That came to mind as we were driving around. Nearly every road has a pristine snow capped mountain directly in its path. I was thinking, now nice. They laid out the roads to each view a mountain. Then from a promontory I realized the whole flat area that is Gustavus is surrounded by snow capped mountains. One finds it hard to lay out a road to not view a mountain.

Weather has been spectacular the last three days. Temps 55-60. Spring is in the air. At 11PM enough light exists to see everything. And about 4AM the darkness is forced out by morning twilight. This is the Gustavus I remember

I am suppose to take the ferry to Juneau to move out rig to have it transported on Wednesday. We live in hope.

Life is good here. I have put in full days on the cabin since Tuesday, with the exception of Sunday. Nearly all the rough wiring is in. Today we painted the floor of four of the downstairs rooms. I plan to buy a few materials I need in Juneau when I am there, like a little more wire, a few necessary fittings for propane plumbing, and a lot of groceries.

I saw my first track today by the river. It was about five inches across and was made by a bear, probably a black bear. I also saw river otters catching breakfast the other day. I don't especially like them because they can decimate the fish population. Still no moose sightings. Geese and ducks migrate past almost every day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Saw some geese very high yesterday heading north. For some weeks we have seen geese headed north and in a few hours back south due to the yucky weather coming in.
Keep an eye peeled for bruno.
Sheepish